Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Welcome!

Hello, readers! I'm glad you've found your way to my latest blogging venture, A Wedding Runs Through It. As I thought about what to call this blog, I wanted to find something descriptive, but not so specific as to be easily forgotten or cut me out of Google searches. Some sort of cultural reference tends to be my fallback when I'm at a loss, and this case isn't any different. Had I gone with a Wayne's World reference, as I am wont to do (see: Whimsical, yet relevant), this probably would have ended up being called "Marriage is Punishment for Shoplifting in Some Countries." Somehow, that's not quite the sentiment I'm going for here.

Instead, I've borrowed a quote from one of my favorite books (and an excellent movie), A River Runs Through It. Rhythmically, it fits to sub in "wedding" for "river" without losing the cadence of the phrase, so that's a bonus. The more I think about it, though, the more appropriate the title seems. Most of us don't have the luxury of planning a wedding full-time without any other distractions or obligations -- life carries on at its harried pace, and one's wedding generally winds its way to completion amid work, rehearsals, travels, apartment moves, naps, family emergencies, and all the other stuff that comes up in everyday existence.

(If I were going full-on Norman Maclean, here is where I would conclude this post with "I am haunted by [weddings]." Also not quite what I'm aiming for.)

My wedding day is just about 11 months away at this point, so I hope you'll follow along as I plan the big event and hunt for vendors, ideas, and inspiration. Who knows, maybe I'll inspire you in the process...

No comments:

Post a Comment