Friday, July 24, 2009

My [College] Friend's Wedding: Lucas + Michelle

A couple of weeks ago, Jon and I went to Chicago to attend the wedding of one of my good college buddies, Lucas. Lucas and Tyler, one of the groomsmen, lived down the hall from me both freshman and sophomore years -- together we watched a lot of Sunday-night movies, played a lot of games on their original NES (which lived in my dorm room with the TV), and perhaps drank too much on occasion. (Such is college, even at Northwestern.) I had looked forward to this wedding for a long time because I knew it would be an awesome mini-reunion, as well as a chance for Jon to meet more of my friends from undergrad.

A classic shot of Lucas and his groomsmen.
Hallmates Bird (Birju) and Tyler are to Lucas's
immediate left and right, respectively


Going to weddings when you're actually planning one certainly makes you watch the ceremony differently than you would otherwise, noting things you like and those you don't. Michelle entered to the introductory promenade from Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an exhibition" (played by a string trio), which I really liked and hadn't heard before in that context. Jon thought it was cool that they had a moment after their vows to honor their families, which consisted of giving their mothers roses and hugs for all the parents and grandparents, I think. It was a pretty short and sweet ceremony, but gave us plenty of things to think about.

Michelle posted a link to her photographer's blog this morning on facebook, so I'll stop rambling for a bit and show you some pretty pictures:

Bond Chapel at the University of Chicago. As it happens, another
friend from college is getting married here this coming October!


This is me giving Lucas a big receiving-line hug after the ceremony

Here's the whole wedding party. Isn't this a gorgeous setting?

Since the University of Chicago is hard to get to on public transit, Lucas and Michelle arranged for a shuttle to take some of their guests from the hotel where they had blocked rooms to the ceremony and back up to the reception at Il Mulino. The reception started with a cocktail hour outside on the patio and then moved inside and upstairs to a private room for a delicious seated dinner and cake, followed by the bouquet toss. That ended up being more of a bouquet line-drive to my friend Evie, who was pretty excited about her catch:

Evie is victorious! Kara (back right) is so excited for her!

Shortly after that picture, Michelle changed into a traditional Korean dress for the first dance. The highlight of the evening, though, came when she and Lucas thanked us all for coming. After Lucas had said his piece, Michelle serenaded her guests with a stunning rendition of "Si mes vers avaient des ailes" by Reynaldo Hahn, accompanied by the string trio. Michelle was a piano major at Northwestern for a year before she transferred to another school of the university, but I had NO idea she had such a beautiful voice! After she finished, Jon asked me if I would be doing something similar... jury's still out on that one.

Anyway, as you can see, it was a lovely wedding. All of these pictures were taken by J Wiley Photography. I'll leave you with my favorite portrait of Michelle and Lucas from the photographer's blog:

So happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment