Saturday, August 29, 2009

Envy me, non-spring brides!

Friday evening my mom and I braved the after-work ATL traffic and trekked out to Marietta to meet with Julie Coffin of Unique Floral Expressions. It turned out to be our first and last florist-scouting trip. Huzzah! (Good thing, too, because I'm not sure how many hour-and-forty-minute meetings I can squeeze into my schedule!)

We've both been a bit anxious about the floral/decorative aspects of the wedding -- mostly because a frugal friend of ours told us she had a "reasonable" florist for her daughter's wedding at a cost of about $5,000. So we really had no idea what to expect. I had brought lots of magazine pictures along, mostly dahlia-centric ones. Unfortunately, dahlias are a maybe around our date, depending on how the season has gone up to then, but I'm really pleased with what Julie came up with.

In the dahlia's stead, I'm currently planning on having a stunning red peony (or five) in my bouquet. (Hence the title of this post. Does anybody else on the wedding blog circuit read an inordinate amount about brides lusting after peonies?) Aside from dahlias, hydrangeas, and bold, bright colors, I apparently didn't have a good idea of what else I might like, so Julie dug in and started asking questions. The three of us pored over books and charts showing all the kinds of flowers, complete with sciencey names, and all the colors of each sort. We looked at what would be in season, and what would be most economical -- especially for the altar arrangements at Trinity, which, frankly, no one but us and the choir at church the morning after will see up close.

Julie talked to her wholesaler early Saturday morning before she left town for a few days and turned around an estimate that came in slightly under what we had said we were looking to spend -- bonus! She even priced out a candle-oriented centerpiece that we could sub in as needed, and will get back to us with a ballparkish figure on the round paper lanterns that I would love to have hanging from the rafters at Puritan Mill. Mom and I both agree that she will be a lot of fun to work with!

I have to give a shout-out to Ashley Baber of Ashley Baber Weddings -- we've retained her services for day-of coordination, but clearly she's helping with a lot more than that. She hooked us up with Julie, who has worked at Trinity in the past and has two weddings this fall at Puritan Mill. Normally we would price around for services, but Ashley gave us the perfect recommendation for this vendor. Thanks, Ashley!

1 comment:

  1. yesssss! ashley is the jam! she was so perfect, for our big day! i second that shout out!

    ReplyDelete