Monday, October 5, 2009

odds & ends from the weekend

I don't really have an excuse this time for disappearing over the weekend... though I guess that having spent the two weekends previous out of town and plans to go to one more out-of-town wedding this coming weekend is explanation enough. I had a lot to get done!

Friday night Jon and I saw an excellent bluegrass show at a small club in Decatur, which was a great start to the weekend. Once we got home, we decided to get a jump on Saturday's erranding marathon and went through our kitchen drawers and cabinets to sort out the extra plates and utensils and tchotchkes that we have duplicates of or don't need now that we're living together. Having taken inventory of the kitchen, I also did a quick scan of the what-to-register-for list in Real Simple Weddings and the book Williams-Sonoma gave us to see what could be crossed off.

Saturday started with a drop-off at the new Goodwill store in Buckhead, after which we headed up to my parents' house. Jon and my dad excavated Grandpa's old record player for us to bring home while I went through the guest list with Mom to make sure everyone who needed a guest had a guest counted and all had been correctly categorized. Our current count? 361 bodies, 220 invitations. There will be some cuts, but we're going to leave that until around the holidays. I know what I need to know to be able to order the paper, so we should be good for now.

We left Mom and Dad's and went to the mall, where our first stop was Chick-fil-A at the food court. (Looking back on the past week later that afternoon, I realized that this was the fifth day in a row I had eaten Chick-fil-A for a meal. Thank God they're closed on Sunday or my streak could have been longer! I don't think I've done that since high school...) With bellies full of fried deliciousness, we looped through Williams-Sonoma, Macy's, and Crate and Barrel to check out appliances, feel towels, and look at glassware, all for the purpose of beefing up our registries. Unbelievably, it seems this will take some effort! I'm sure once we properly set our minds on it we'll come up with enough things for the list. I'm planning to take full advantage of the free month of ConsumerReports.com that I got for doing a survey on Consumerist!

After the mall, we made a run to the recycling center and then went scouting for a something I thought might make a good bridesmaids gift... turned out that wasn't the case, so I'm glad we went to check it out. The rest of the weekend was mainly taken up by football, baseball, church and work, so I'll spare you the play-by-play.

I don't have much to report today otherwise -- at least that I'm at leisure to share here. I've got some kickass gift ideas in the works, but many of the giftees follow my blog, and I wouldn't want to ruin any surprises!

[Oh, and lest I forget, the lovely drop-cap that kicks off this post is from Jessica Hische's latest blog. So cool! Yes, I know it has a border around it, but I didn't want to turn off my borders...Fun fact: she designed the font I chose for our invitations!]

No comments:

Post a Comment