Thursday, October 22, 2009

Wedding Spectator no. 3: fancy! (or, happy anniversary to Mary Liz & Meade!)

Exactly four years ago at just about this time of evening, my friend Mary Liz was taking her first spin around the dance floor as a married lady.


As predicted, she was the first among our gang of girlfriends, a unit since junior high school, to take the plunge. She was engaged in May just before she graduated college, and, impressively, married well before Thanksgiving of that same year. I'm still not sure how she and her mom pulled it off so quickly and so well!


As you can tell from Mary Elizabeth's ballgown and long veil, Meade's white tie and tails, and the country club ballroom in the background, this wedding was, as we say down south, fancy. It was the first of its kind that I attended, and although I have been to formal ballroom wedding receptions since, I don't recall any as grand as this one. There must have been at least 300 people there. (Lord knows I tied enough perfectly symmetrical silk-ribbon bows on Mary Liz's wedding programs for at least 500!) It was a family affair, in a lot of ways; most of our parents were in attendance, and the crowd was probably a pretty even split between the generations. Because of that, and because we were all fresh out of college and new to the wedding scene, I think the event had a different feel to it for me than any wedding has since.

We look so young! We're all 22 or 23 in this picture.

I also imagine I was a bit awed and overwhelmed by it all -- black tie dress, the Piedmont Driving Club, all that free booze mixed with parents and high-school ex-boyfriends -- which is the general feeling I get when I think back on the day. It really was almost a fairytale wedding, complete with a horse-drawn carriage whisking the happy couple off to the Four Seasons at the end of the evening.

It's hard to believe it's been four years. Happy anniversary, y'all! You've set an amazing example for the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment