Monday, November 16, 2009

shredded

Shit, y'all. I had a little extra time today before Jon got home from work, so I thought I'd try out one of my long-neglected exercise DVDs. I just finished my first 20-min workout with Jillian Michaels' 30-Day Shred, and MAN am I out of shape. That's not really a surprise, but I was feeling not so hot way sooner than I expected to. Jillian tells me that I'm now well on my way, and that I should notice a big difference in my endurance by day 6 or 7. We shall see.

I haven't ever watched the Biggest Loser, where Jillian gained her fame, but I read about this DVD on pretty much every wedding blog whenever fitness was discussed... so I guess that makes me a bandwagon-jumper. (Of course, it was like $13 and the workouts are quick, so it's practical.) A lot of people said they saw good results, so as long as I stick with it (which seems to be my main problem) I should notice some changes for the better. A little less squishy in the middle, a little less jiggly in the arms, that's what I'm aiming for.

Probably the funniest thing about doing workout DVDs at home is that my cat, Little Man, always decides he wants to get involved. No matter if he's been bathing in a sun-spot all the day long, when I decide to exercise some sort of radar goes off and he comes and huddles right next to my feet as I warm up. Time for push-ups? He parks it right under my nose so I get a mouthful of fur each time I sink down. This afternoon I knocked him down, and he proceeded to gnaw on my wrist while I attempted to continue with my girly push-ups. Crunches seem to be his favorite, though: whenever I'm on my back on the floor, he climbs onto my chest and settles in, never minding the jostling going on beneath him. Such a helpful pet.

Anyway, even though it was only 20 minutes, it sort of kicked my ass. It's sort of embarrassing, but it also feels good to have done something. Maybe next time I'll try out my New York City Ballet DVD. For some reason I think I'll feel less incompetent and weak doing ballet exercises, since I have more of a background in dance than in, uh, shredding.

No comments:

Post a Comment