Monday, November 2, 2009

we shall scrimp and save!

Hello, November! You are one of my favorite months here in Atlanta. I'm still wondering exactly what happened to October, though...

Anyway, since we've rolled into a new month, Jon and I have decided to challenge ourselves to be a little more money-conscious this month. Not only do we have the holidays coming up, which entails buying presents for lots of people, but we also need to save save save for our eventual honeymoon! We're still not sure as to the whens and wheres of that, but we do know that we'll need some money to pay for whatever we decide on.

Keeping all that in mind, we've resolved to not dine out during the month of November. Of course, we're trying to set ourselves up for success, not failure, so we're building in a little wiggle room here and there so we can stick to our guns. Jon is very social with his coworkers, so he'll probably have an allowance of one lunch out per week. I tend to eat at my desk every workday but have had to turn down a few post-church brunch invites lately, so I'll probably use my free pass on the weekends (if I use it at all). Since dinners out are the most expensive, we're swearing those off altogether. This has the added benefit of increasing the number of home-cooked, reasonably healthy meals we will eat. In the end, I hope to be a little wealthier and perhaps a few pounds lighter... I'll let you know how it pans out.

Does anyone out there have good tips for squirreling away money for a honeymoon or presents or a big purchase? Pass them along!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm... I opened a new account for our wedding and put away money each paycheck! Unfortunately and fortunately by the big day I had drained my account!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've started a separate savings account, though I haven't added much yet... I need to set up an automatic deposit with every paycheck for that one too, just like my regular savings. Thanks for the tip! Looking forward to your recaps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about winning one of my giveaways? Will that help? :) Seriously though, you won the postcards! Contact me at christenjuel { at } gmail dot com with your full name and email so I can pass it on to the UPrinting folk. CONGRATS!! :)

    ReplyDelete