Friday, December 11, 2009

housekeeping

As a singer, I'm accustomed to pretty nutty holiday seasons. Rehearsals, performances, extra church services... all in an Advent season's work. However, this year probably takes the cake for calendar insanity.

I just realized that I've had major performances at least every two weeks since the end of October, but I'll spare you all of those details and just tell you about my December. The first week, I rehearsed and sang two performances of Handel's Messiah with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and chamber chorus. This week, I have rehearsed and sung two concerts of Christmas with the ASO. Tomorrow I am missing the last two performances of that program to prep for and then help hostess my family's annual champagne and cheesecake Christmas party. Mmmm... let's pause for a minute to look at some pictures from parties past:


All of that deliciousness happens tomorrow. This year my mom had a few (three) unanticipated surgeries, so on top of all of my singing, I, along with my sister, have been baking up a storm so Mom didn't have to and so we could still have our annual soiree.

BUT WAIT. There's more. On Sunday, I have to be at the airport at 1:30 p.m., where I'll meet up with the ASO chorus to fly to Berlin, Germany for a week. We're singing with the Berlin Philharmonic December 18-20! This means Christmas markets, Gl├╝hwein, Wurst, Brezeln (notice that I enjoy German food specialties?), trying not to embarrass myself auf Deutsch and braving some cold-ass weather! So, yeah, I should probably start packing...

All of this is to say that I may not be so good about posting in the next week or so. Our hotel has free wireless, so I'll check in a time or two -- I have an AWESOME Old-Timey Tuesday post in the works! -- but I probably won't be around so much until after my return on Dec. 21.

Until next time, happy Hanukkah/an auspicious advent to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment