Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Old-Timey Tuesday: the triumphant return!

Greetings, readers! I apologize for the long wait on this one, but I promise you it is worth it. This week's Old-Timey Tuesday comes to you courtesy of my Aunt Connie and Uncle Dave (thanks, y'all!) up in McLean, Va.

Dave and Connie were married on August 3, 1974, in Stephens City, Va., just south of Winchester where Connie grew up. The wedding took place in the Methodist church Connie had attended all her life. Here's the happy couple:


Like my mom had, Connie has long, sheer sleeves and a beribboned bouquet. Dave is totally rocking the all-white look with the classic ruffled shirt, don't you think? Now, let's have a look at the wedding party:


Bridesmaids in white? With flower baskets? AND sheer floppy hats?? EPIC. I hope Aunt Retta and Aunt Becky (Dave's sisters, second from right and second from left, respectively) still have these getups. I'm not sure this would have been considered an unusually cruel bridesmaids' ensemble back then, given the other '70s weddings I've seen.

I especially like what the groomsmen are wearing. It's always nice to have the groom stand out from the bunch in terms of what he's wearing, but I think it's the men of the wedding party who draw my eye in this photo, with their extra-wide black lapels in the sea of white. I also think it was a bold move to go with the blue ruffled shirt -- even the cuffs are ruffly! To tie the whole group together, groom and groomsmen alike are sporting the ginormous black bowtie. Here's a close-up shot of Uncle Dave with his brother Tom and brother-in-law Richard:


Here you can see the ruffled cuff of Uncle Richard's shirt peeking out, as well as the unusual breast-pocket flap on Uncle Dave's suit. Oh '70s, what a nutty decade you were!

No comments:

Post a Comment