Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Old-Timey Tuesday: What's the matter, Colonel Sanders?

Along with the formal photos from last week's post, Aunt Connie sent me the following picture from her and Uncle Dave's wedding reception:


Needless to say, I demanded immediate explanation. Uncle Dave obliged, so here it is, straight from the horse's mouth:

Aunt Connie delegated the KFC response to me, although as an actor in the drama, so to speak, my knowledge base is pretty sparse.

What I remember is that one of my alleged "friends" thought that I looked like Colonel Sanders in my white suit. At that time, he (or an actor portraying him) was a fixture on TV commercials for Kentucky Fried Chicken. Sometime between the wedding and the reception, this "friend" stopped by the local KFC and asked for an empty bucket. It was presented to me at the reception, whereupon I posed with it for the cameras. I think that picture was actually taken by your grandfather, as were many of the photos in our wedding album. I now don't remember who provided the bucket, but suspicion would fall on the two women in the background of the photo, both of whom were law school classmates and would have been quite capable of the gesture.

I still have the white suit (although I am sure that it is a little dingy with age, as am I).

Over Christmas with his extended family, Uncle Dave mentioned he had sent me this photo and learned from his mom and sister that it was actually a family friend and mentor who obtained the KFC bucket on the way from the wedding to the reception. The employees gave the guy a grease-free bucket gratis when they heard what it was for.

And now, for the sake of comparison, here is the spry old Colonel himself:


What do you think? Aside from the bow tie (and the super-oldness), we may have a match!

No comments:

Post a Comment