Monday, January 11, 2010

PANIC: damage control

It has been brought to my attention that my previous panicky post about a too-long guest list has been misunderstood by a few parties who happen to read this blog, so I wanted to take a moment to clarify.

If you received a save-the-date, we would be thrilled if you saw fit to spend time and money on coming to celebrate with us. I have made a particularly concerted effort to avoid extending invitations that would be insincere, because I dislike insincerity very much. On the other side of that coin, there are many more friends with whom we would love to party but simply and sadly cannot accommodate due to budget constraints. Rather than try to engineer the desired outcome, Mom and I decided to invite everyone on the most recent iteration of the list (instead of stressing out about trying to cut it down even more) and let things settle out themselves. We're optimistic like that.

I think pretty much anyone who has been through this process will agree that there is always more family than you think, and also that, at some point, lines need to be drawn, no matter how large or small the wedding. This whole guest-listing process is really stressful for a people-pleaser like me... hence the PANIC. (Anybody with me on that? Oy!) Sorry for any confusion/disappointment I have inadvertently caused along the way.

Alles klar?

3 comments:

  1. a) I got your postcard! I am so excited! Ready to book flights now.
    b) We have not started the official writing down of a guest list, and I am a little terrified.
    c) I am already excited about Old-Timey Tuesday. I share them with my mom sometimes. Her 1982 bridesmaids dresses were pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in the same boat as you... it worked out for the most part - the only people who didn't show were my MIL's cousin's family - soooo rude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! Creating the guest list is one of the most stressful parts ... aside from creating the seating chart :)

    ReplyDelete