Monday, January 25, 2010

plates for printing!

I rushed home from work today because I knew I'd be getting a very important package in the mail -- my letterpress plates! Sure enough, when I got home I found a large envelope on the steps just inside the door, where our landlord puts our packages if he's in his home office when they arrive. (There was also a box from Jon's mom that contained two huge jars of tomato sauce that came out of her garden. Bonus!) Inside the envelope I found two layers of wooden blocks taped to and sandwiched between pieces of sturdy cardboard.


I snipped through the tape with my scissors, unstacked the layers, and pulled each block carefully off of the packing tape. They look great! Here is the whole "suite"of plates for my friend's wedding (because I don't want to ruin my reveal, but will totally share hers. Not that this gives you a lot.):


And here's her main invitation, up close:


As you can see, it's all backwards on the plate so it will print forwards on the paper. (For the record, making plates is so much easier than hand-setting tiny pieces of type in reverse order! Though definitely not as economical.) Last but not least, here is a sneak preview of the plates I ordered for my invitations:


This is what I'll use to make our thank-you notes. You'll recognize the font from our save-the-dates. No secret there.

Huge Relief No. 1: I did not manage to screw up the size, scaling, layout or spelling on any of these plates. OH THANK GOD. As many times as I looked at these things, I was bound to go error-blind at some point -- fortunately that didn't happen before I sent my files away.

I'll have to wait until a week from Thursday for (hopefully) Huge Relief No. 2, wherein I discover that the fonts my friend and I selected all ink and press evenly onto the page. I'll admit I'm a bit nervous about the veeery skinny hairlines on my scripty font, but I'm thinking positive thoughts.

Yesterday I went through my required studio orientation, so now that I have my plates I'm all ready to go. I've blocked out next Thursday evening after work and then the entire weekend worth of open studio hours for printing. Let the DIY craziness begin!

1 comment:

  1. These look great! And I'm sure they'll look even better once they're imprinted. Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete