Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Old-Timey Tuesday: Debaucherous ushers and the getaway car

I have to say, Grandpa Fred's ushers did a bang-up job of decorating his car. As I mentioned in a previous post, after the wedding, Fred and Jean hopped in the car and drove halfway across the country to Oklahoma to meet the Abernathy clan. Here is the car before the fellas got to work:



And here you can see all their luggage for the long cross-country trek:



Grandpa Fred is in the back right of this picture, presumably checking on the status of his automobile, or perhaps preparing to head out. He seems to be OK with whatever he sees! I think the best part is the "Just Married" that starts on the back windshield and curves up onto the roof of the car.



Here's a good view of the damage as Grandpa Fred pulls out of the garage. "The ushers were here"; "new boss"; "Kilroy sunk the Navy"; and multiple "just married"s.



And the finishing touch before they hit the road -- I think these are flattened tin cans... I have no idea what they'd be otherwise!


Well, that brings us to the end of the documentation of my Grandma Jean and Grandpa Fred's 1946 wedding. But never fear! I've got many more excellent old-timey photos where these came from! I've covered the 1940s and 1970s pretty thoroughly at this point, so check back this time next week for a whole new decade in wedding style!

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE these. I really do. I love the period cultural references ("kilroy"). I love that the ushers are taking their job so seriously. How lucky you are to have them!

    ReplyDelete