Monday, July 12, 2010

Just say thank you*

In the months leading up to the wedding, I was a thank you note-writing machine. Gifts would arrive on our doorstep one afternoon and I would drop the notes in the mailbox for pickup the next morning on my way to work. Not only did this practice prevent a backlog, it also helped me write better notes I think -- the excitement of getting a wedding present, even if it was something rather unglamorous like a single plate, from a friend or relative definitely gave me some momentum.

As the wedding day drew nearer, the volume of presents being delivered increased, as one might expect. I was able to stay on top of things until the week of the wedding, at which point I threw in the towel, reasoning that people would surely understand if it took a few weeks for me to get to thanking them. I'd just knock them out after the honeymoon. Right?

Not so much. Here I am more than a month after returning from our trip to Canada and I've got close to (more than?) 20 notes outstanding. First I said I'd have them done before the puppy arrived (June 25); then it was the end of the month; the end of the month became the end of the 4th of July holiday weekend. You can see where this is going. I came across a blog post last week that mentioned that brides and grooms have eight weeks to finish writing their thank-yous and realized that eight weeks from the wedding is this coming weekend. AGH! When I revisited the post I saw that the thank-you deadline is eight weeks from the end of the honeymoon, according to the author, Anne Chertoff, so I've got until the end of the month.

Of course, I had to check in with Emily Post, master of etiquette, as well to see what her take on the proper thank you note timeline is:
Contrary to popular myth, the happy couple does not have a year’s grace period. All thank you notes should be written within three months of the receipt of the gift.
Three months! What a relief! My goal now is to have all the notes written by the time I leave for the beach with my family a week from Friday, but it's good to know I'll still be within the window of good taste if I sit on them a while longer.

Did anyone else experience a lack of thank you note motivation post-wedding? Do you think there's a certain window of time in which gift-givers should be thanked, or is a thank you note, whenever it arrives, courtesy enough? Do you enjoy writing thank yous, or do you think they're a pain?

--
*please tell me someone knows where this post title comes from!

4 comments:

  1. I certainly did. I, like you, kept up very well before the wedding and threw in the towel a few days before. I finished mine before Thanksgiving, within two months post-wedding. Glad I have the blessing of Emily Post! I wouldn't worry about it too much-- you'll get them done and people do understand you have a life and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em 3 months! That was my goal but I just posted the last ones today and we are almost at 4 months!

    Never mind im blaming it on the fact our honeymoon was quite long then I had to make the cards and then write all 92 of them!!!

    I did get a bit annoyed with them but wrote them in little bits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ours have been sitting on our dining room table untouched for about 2 weeks now. They're all laid out beautifully, ready to go and organized, but still...
    Yours are so pretty! Love the Buttermilk...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! And yeah, totally didn't meet my pre-beach completion goal... oh well. Now I'm hoping to get them done before August 22!

    ReplyDelete