Wednesday, October 13, 2010

playing catchup

I have finally dug myself out from under a massive pile of unread (or un-marked-as-read) Google Reader blog items, wedding and otherwise. Hooray! A couple of things really jumped out at me today, so I thought I'd share.

First, this incredible engagement photo shoot by Sarah Rhoads blew my mind. The colors are pretty muted, but the images are so vivid and full of love. I seriously want to be friends with these two. (I totally want to be friends with Sarah too -- did I mention she just turned 26? Way to make me feel like an underachiever...) Here are some of my favorites from the shoot. Picture no. 3 is pure magic!





photos from sarahrhoads.com

The second thing that stood out was this post from Petite Chablis, about how the things you learn in the planning of a wedding amount to actual, useful real-life knowledge. I picked up all sorts of new skills and refined others over the course of my engagement, many of which could (and, hopefully, eventually will) be applied in the service of a fulfilling career. Yet somehow, because it was all part of wedding planning, potential employers (and we ourselves) see this experience as somehow less legitimate. Gotta work on that...

Last but definitely not least (and also not in the realm of weddings but peripherally related through my own engagement story) is this most recent post from Josh Ritter in his series about making a life in music. Now, I'm not even entertaining the notion of becoming a career musician, but I think anyone can find a lot of value in these posts, no matter their professional course. I'm doing a lot of searching and pondering at the moment, so I'm loving his blog. Unsurprisingly, he's an excellent writer!

Alright, that's the best of today in Kathleen's Google Reader. Bedtime for me! I'll try to stay on top of blog things from here on out...

3 comments:

  1. love the highlights. those photos are amazing and they are very well dressed couple. makes me want to buy some saddle shoes and a pretty floral dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot wait to read Josh Ritter's article-what a great share!

    ReplyDelete