Tuesday, October 19, 2010

a wedding present that loves us back

Happy half-birthday to the cutest, most high-maintenance wedding present Jon and I received: Otto, our puppy! (Jon's younger brother was the very generous giver of the puppy-present.) He's six months old today. This time next week we'll have had him for four months. As a lifelong cat person, I'm still adjusting, but things are going pretty well.

It's noots how much Otto has changed since he turned up in June. (The first three pics below are from the day we got him). Without further ado, for your viewing pleasure, a much-longer-than-necessary puppy photo retrospective:


Daww, isn't he sweet? The bandage and the shaved spot on his arm in the two most recent photos are from his neutering operation last week (poor buddy). Otto definitely demands a lot more attention (and upkeep costs) than any of the other wedding presents we got, but he's been an excellent addition to the family. Jon is in love with the dog, and I like him pretty well too. As long as Little Man (my kitty) still loves me, I'm good to go! I have to keep all of my fellas happy.

Did anyone else get a live wedding present? Something way more exciting than the norm? Do tell!

10 comments:

  1. Holy daww. That might actually be the cutest puppy I've ever seen, and he's going to be one dapper doggie. What breed is Mr. Otto? Adorable-saurus?

    Also. Um. You can't say "We got a puppy as a wedding gift." and NOT explain further. Like, who gave you the furry darling? Did you register for puppies alongside dishes and a blender? Was he wrapped in a wiggling box on the gifts table? Did he come with a gift receipt? More information please. Because. Um. I might want to register for an Otto myself after all those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gahhh man I need to stop writing blog posts late in the day because I always leave out important shit. I'll amend the post, but will also answer here so you don't have to go hunting again.

    My husband's younger brother gave us the puppy. Basically his brother called up in about February and asked Jon whether or not we could take good care of something living if he were to give us a present that was alive -- of course that meant a puppy, because Jon has reeeeally wanted one for a long time. We didn't find out anything about it until his brother gave us a card the day after the wedding with a horribly pixelated, low-quality picture from the breeder. (He had done lots of research as to what sort of dog would best fit our lifestyle/the fact that I already have a cat and don't like pets that drool.) Otto arrived in Atlanta about a month after our wedding, so we had a little bit of time to get back in the swing of things before the puppy messed up our routine again!

    Otto is a welsh terrier, and I don't think he'll get too terribly much bigger... but we'll see! He's super cute, as you can tell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love him, Kathleen! Those are great pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My lord that is a cute puppy!!!!! Happy six-month birthday!! great name too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful little monster! A very happy six month birthday to Otto!

    ReplyDelete
  6. shut the front door! he's smiling in that last photo! what a cutie pie. and an awesome gift fo sho!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOD! I was literally saying out loud, "Oh, no! Oh NO! OH NO! He's flipping adorable!" while scrolling down.

    Smiley, adorable little puppy-dog! Isaiah and I have this joke that every time either of us (yes, including him) sees a puppy, our first (sadly, verbal) response is to go "OGHDON'T LOOK AT THAT PUPPPYYYY HE'S SHO PURDY! BIG FLUFFY PUPPY!" It's caused us quite a few embarrassing moments. But I'm saying that now. About your puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, y'all! He had a good day. got to see his puppy friends for the first time since he got fixed :) And yeah, he's totally smiling in that last pic! I had to take a photo of that, it was too sweet. Lizzie, Jon and I are the same way about puppies... can definitely be embarrassing/awkward when you babytalk about/to the dog and totally ignore the human at the other end of the leash ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG Im jealous...he is the sweetest, most adorable dog Ive EVER SEEN!!! And Im allergic!

    ReplyDelete