Monday, November 22, 2010

Six months ago...


Jon and I got hitched! Hard to believe, isn't it? Sometimes I look at the (amazing, incredible) photos and can hardly believe it happened at all. Not that I don't remember the day, just, like... that was me? Us? Bizarre. And yet here we are, six months down the road*, newly wed, newly puppied, but otherwise carrying on much as we did for the 10 months we lived together before the wedding.

In honor of making it this far without losing our rings or wanting to kill each other, we're going on what I'm calling Honeymoon 2.0 this weekend. The first time around, we took Canada by storm, spending most of our week non-stop exploring Quebec City and Montreal on foot. In retrospect, I realized I might have liked some time to sit around and luxuriate in our lack of agenda after the wedding. So, for Friday and Saturday, we're heading about an hour and a half north to Barnsley Gardens, a resort in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains, to chill, hike, eat, read, lounge, wander, whatever. (And I just might have to spring for a horseback ride, if I get to feeling spendy.) Ahhh!

Generally we wouldn't acknowledge this quasi-milestone in such a fashion, but back in the spring I won a sweepstakes from Atlanta magazine that included in its grand prize a two-night stay at this resort. The weekend after Thanksgiving was the only available one at the resort that worked for us, so it's just serendipity that this getaway has fallen about a half-year since the wedding (and right before the onset of the holiday crush).

Who knows, though; I might have to tell the folks at the resort restaurant that we're celebrating an actual anniversary and see if they'll send out a free dessert...

*more on this soon

7 comments:

  1. Oooo! I'm so happy you guys are doing this. :) And you should totally go horseback riding. And then tell me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats!! that sounds like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That picture is incredible. And why not celebrate the "quasi-milestones"? Sometimes those are the best ones to celebrate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big congratulations on the first 6 months, and have an absolutely wonderful honeymoon 2.0. I agree with Dancy, don't be ashamed to celebrate the little milestones-6 months married is such a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks y'all! Jon doesn't seem to track the monthly things much. I for one have always been partial to half-birthdays and the like since my birthday is in July when no one is around (or was around, during school days)! I try to take any excuse to celebrate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on 6 months! your weekend away sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my honeymoon 1.0 is coming up soon... in a month! Haven't got my accommodation down pat yet... been so looking forward to this and now it's coming, I'm sad that it's gonna be over soon and already I'm thinking when's honeymoon 2.0. Does anybody else get that?

    ReplyDelete