Friday, December 31, 2010

some thoughts for the new year

This time last year, I was in about the same spot I am right now: on Jon's folks' couch in Moscow, Idaho, following a delicious meal cooked by Susan and Steve, waiting to ring in the new year (sans television) with a champagne toast in the kitchen. Last year, with the wedding looming five and a half months away, Jon and I spent our time here addressing save-the-date postcards and trawling through thousands of old family photos as we planned for the big day. I had at least the first five months of the year mapped out by New Year's Eve. This year, we've been playing in the snow and getting acquainted with Moscow Mountain, where Jon's family just bought a cabin. Looking ahead to 2011, I have no idea what's coming next. I'm hoping for big changes in some parts of my life, but I know I'm going to have to work really hard to make things happen for myself.

Snow on Moscow Mountain

This moment in time is, in many ways, an odd one to use as punctuation. (Then again, whose life sorts out neatly into January-to-January chunks? Certainly not mine -- I can't even bring myself to move on from an academic-year calendar.) As 2010 expires, Jon and I are seven months into our marriage and six months into dog ownership; Jon's three months into a new job; and I'm in the midst of one of those typical twenty-something periods of searching, largely ushered in by job dissatisfaction and new interests I discovered over the course of planning and blogging about our wedding. There are about a hundred different directions I think I could go with myself, if only I could find the time or figure out exactly how.

Jon and I fly back to Atlanta tomorrow to begin a new calendar year in our life together. Who knows what it will bring? Though I tend to be a planner, I'm kind of looking forward to having a year of great wide open. My hope for myself is that I'll be able to see past the discomfort of not always knowing and instead look for the possibility in everything and everyone.

flying over the Palouse

P.S. Happy New Year to all of my blog buddies -- thank you for (still) reading! I've got something new up my sleeve... but you'll have to wait until 2011 to find out what it is!

5 comments:

  1. I love reflective posts like this one. And I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeves for the new year! Cheers to 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait to see what you've got planned...new years are tough..it's not as neat as that...but it's a good time to break and reflect...which you're doing anyway - and a lot of us are doing all year round, kind of...eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year friend! I have a feeling 2011 is going to be a good one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to start 2011-open to every possibility. I'm happy with 2010, but I'm anxious to see what this coming year will bring, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I love those shots so much! They make me happy. And I hear you about dissatisfaction and trying to choose which direction to go in. Life decisions don't come easy, that's for sure. But I've found a hard-fought battle is a well-appreciated one, so at least there's that.

    ReplyDelete